Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Blog 1

     There are always changes in life, yet some things remain to stay as it is. One good example, would be the English language. It has undergone many changes after being handed down from generations to generations. Until there was such a time that it became so diverse that people can be segregated into different social clusters by just listening to the way they say. But such an idea that people are divided into different groups through the way they talk is very judgmental and prejudice.
     The media, harmless as it seems, is injecting images and ideals into our mind in an inconspicuous and unnoticeable way. Take for example the cartoon "Totally Spies," to be specific let us focus our attention to a character named Clover. The animator gave her the following characteristics: blonde, model-like body structure, fashionable, dumb and has an accent that rapes the word 'totally'. Funny as she is in the cartoon, I think its kinda stereotypical and unjust giving those quality to a character like her. Once in a while I try to imitate some accents that different people use, so far I can imitate the Russian-American, Chinese-American, British, Indian-American, Arabian-American and Japanese-American accents. One accent in which I do 'overkills' is the accent of the stereotypical dumb blondes. Its funny, has a homosexual touch to it, and most people would enjoy seeing me do it. It may seem to be a harmless joke but in reality it instills an image to the people's mind that blondes are dumb and simple minded persons, still I do it otherwise I just cant help it. As far as I can remember this is not the only time that I did this kind of thing. There was this one time when I was really bored at home, like totally bored. So I decided to turn on the PC and went to this site called Omegle, its a site where you can chat to random strangers. I kept disconnecting with my partners, until I had a partner whose webcam  is covered. I cant see them but they can certainly see me. My partner had her microphone on so we communicated through it. As time went by I convinced my partner to show themselves. Then this two blond female appeared in the screen just as I imagined them in my mind.
     Guilty as I might sound, we still need to keep an open mind and try to avoid judging people by the way they talk. Not only on the way they talk but also their appearance.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment